Facebook is an established social media site with over 1 billion users. 757 million of these users log on at least once a day and spend a significant amount of time reading posts, as well as interacting with family and friends. The great number of users coupled by the frequency of their usage makes Facebook ads a must for any online entrepreneur.
One of the biggest advantages of advertising on Facebook is the degree to which you can specify your target market. Facebook has a wealth of personal knowledge about its users and this means it can segment its users very specifically.
The key here is to look for the specific audience that you want to target. If your online business is about selling books, then look for reading clubs and organizations,or to be more specific, take a look at the friends and followers of the author of a book you’re selling.
Sounds good, but how exactly do you find your target audience among the horde of Facebook at users?
Well, when a person signs up for Facebook, they give out information about themselves which Facebook then organizes in their database. Some of this information can be very helpful to online businesses that are planning to advertise on Facebook, including:
- Age – this is important factor for businesses that cater to specific age groups, like clothing for teenagers or tech for young professionals.
- Gender – businesses who sell gender-specific products like cosmetics for women or watches and accessories for men will benefit greatly from this filter option.
- Location – brick and mortar businesses or service providers, like a veterinarian, would want to focus their ads to show only for people with a current location within their target market.
- Hobbies –people tend to spend a lot of money in pursuing their passion, and these people can often be found in groups on Facebook. Whether you’re selling items like auto parts or offer services like event planning, you’ll certainly find your audience here.
- Occupation – aside from the user’s hobbies, knowing their jobs or business is also a great way to target your audience. Do you sell wholesale computers and parts? Why not look for computer shop owners? Do you provide shipping services? If so, then look for people who deal with import and export business.
This information is of great help when it comes to finding the exact audience that you want to target. Creating a marketing plan that integrates all these and suits your business and budget can be challenging, but a great digital marketing firm should be able to help you out.
If you want to read more about Facebook for business, check out our post on Facebook Insights!